How do I Winterize Bamboo Trees?

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by JSeger, Dec 7, 2004.

1. JSeger

JSeger Member

I just bought a home that has 4 10ft bamboo trees in the front yard and I'm not sure what I have to do, if anything, to protect them over the winter. I've seen them wrapped with burlap but I've also seen them cut down to about 3ft of stem, then wrapped. If that's the case, will they grow back to full height in the summer? What should I do?

2. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Bamboo

It depends on the species and where you are located of course but I have the species phyllostachys bambusoides " Castillonis" and I am located 6' above sea level in North Vancouver, a solid zone 8b. I have done nothing to protect mine for years. I notice other species around my area and again they do nothing to protect their's.
    Hope this helps.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Tropical bamboos need a greenhouse, hardy would need only mulching under ordinary conditions, as with other hardy garden plants. If concerned that an Arctic Front might come in and blast them before they have rooted out well, put up some wind protection when such conditions are imminent. Do not cover them during normal (mild) winter weather.

Bamboos have thin leaves that do not appreciate repeated hammering by winds, so it is best to give them a comparatively sheltered position anyway. Light preferences vary with the species, see the online Species Tables in the Species Source List on the American Bamboo Society web site for light level ratings for each species.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  4. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I'd wrap them if your concerned, but cutting them down isn't a good idea, unless you want to wait a few years for recovery. Chances are that if you bought the house with the bamboo already there, they won't be tropical. Don't worry about them
    Carol Ja