How do I stop weeds from growing in a evergreen groundcover?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by adaminiowa, Jul 13, 2009.

1. adaminiowa

adaminiowa Member

I'm a groundskeeper at a retirement community. There is a lot of evergreen groundcover on the property that looks really good. The only problem is that weeds continue to spring up through it. It's a lot of work to just pull them every other week... yes, job insurance I know... but it's not quite efficient to be pulling weeds for 4 hours a week... plus my back doesn't like it that much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    ~Adam

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It's either that or carefully executed spot treatments with suitable herbicide.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what about putting down a thick layer of mulch? although it may not completely irradicate the weeds, it'll sure slow down their growth!

4. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Member

Is the groundcover well rooted all over or just spreading from one place? If it's spreading from one single root point, it might be worth the extra effort to put some breathable plastic down under the groundcover. I've done this at work (I'm a gardener) and the groundcover will still grow over the plastic, especially if it's covered with something like stones or bark. If the groundcover is something like arctotis, then you could just cut slits in the plastic every so often for the roots to reach the earth.

That'd be my suggestion, anyway! But I sympathise - weeds are the bane of our existence!

TW