How do I Rejuvenate Old Vines?

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by mcroteau1969, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I just moved into a new house where there are two old looking grape vines that were once climbing along an old fence. The fence has fallen down and the vines are tangled and broken. They are along the edge of a gravel driveway, facing south-east but are mostly shaded by large conifers.

Should they be pruned or cut down close to the ground? Should I mulch around their bases?

Considering their location, is it worth trying to bring them back or should I remove them to a more sunny location?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

What are they?

Do you have any idea what variety they are? This could give you some direction to keep/not keep. Location and sunlight are critical to ripening; unless it is a very early variety shaded by conifers can be a problem. A safe part of your approach would be to take some cuttings for rooting next spring, then if your pruning and renovation doesn't work out or the location becomes an issue you will still have grapes to grow.
    Your vines' main asset at this time will be a mature (very large) root system which should give you lots of vigor next spring. I'm still very much a novice at grapes, but here is a couple of good sites for grape maintenance and propegation: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/cuttings.html
    http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/frt_hort/grape_pruning_basics.htm
    Ralph

3. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Ralph, I will check your resources and try to ID them. There are 2 vines and one still has a few leaves. Good idea about the cuttings - thanks!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.