How do I overwinter my Musella lasiocarpa (chinese yellow banana)?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Deanne, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Deanne

Deanne Member

How do I go about overwintering my Musella lasiocarpa (chinese yellow banana)?

I live in Vancouver, and the Banana is kept in a large terracotta planter at the back of the house. Although we haven't had a major freeze the few frosts we've encountered have killed off its leaves and have left me with a stump (looks healthy enough, but what do I do to prevent losing it??).

I have been exploring a variety of Horticultual websites and am overwhelmed with the variety of choices....

1) Do I try to create a breathable sheltered stucture? (wire cage, leaves, and plastic wrap or lid) This seems to have moldy, mushy pitfalls from what I've read.

2) Do I dig it up, wrap in burlap and store in the garage or basement?

3) cut it down, mulch and hope it makes it?

4) wrap the pot with blankets or burlap?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thank you!
    Deanne

2. Your plant

Depending upon how heavy the pot is you`ve got 2 possibilities.

1. Take it into the garage or any other not too hot place. If you haven`t got enough space inside, at least get it to the least wind spot arround the house.

2. If you`re unable to move the pot, wrap some jute or other breathable material arround. Not just arround the plant, but the pot too. Just don`t even think about using plastic, it`s gonna kill it.

Try to hold it as dry as possible, no rain, no snow, put it either under the roof of your house, or under a big tree. if you haven`t any space like this, build a roof out of Plastic, as log as there is still the possibility of air floating under it it`s ok.

Id water it now every 2 weeks or so, just as much that the earth doesnt dry out, but the plant does not rot.

Enough tips? I hope it will survive the winter. And you too:)

Best wishes Jonas Schmid Landscapegardener Switzerland

3. Deanne

Deanne Member

Thank you for the very clear and helpful advice! I'll follow your suggestions and cross my fingers.
    All the best to you!
    Deanne
    Vancouver