How do I kill a form of "wild bamboo"

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Unregistered, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Hi,

I have a plant that has been growing in my back yard for many years. I have tried numerous things to erdicate this but each year it comes back.
    Here is what I can tell you
    It is growing in Northern BC - Coast town - so very mild climate
    I looks like a bamboo type plant
    It grows to about 6 - 10 feet tall
    It dies off each fall and comes back each spring
    The stalks on the older plants grow to about 1 to 2 inches in diameter
    It does not trailer ( thankfully) but if pulled up from where it is planted and "dropped" in another location will root and grow very easily ( learned this the hard way)
    I have tried pulling the roots but they seem to go forever and "break" very eaisly.
    I have tried "round-up" but to no avail
    One lady told me to put pickling salt down the stalks when you break them off - that is a slow boat to china....
    The area they grow in is very damp soil and is only watered by the natural rain- of which we get far too much
    When they "die" in the fall the stalks become hard ( like dried sticks) but you can snap them very easily - the stalks don't become soggy or "wimpy"
    Any help would be appreciated.....

thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Search online for Japanese knotweed, control methods.

3. japanese knotweed

Japanese knotweed or Mexican Bamboo. I had the same plant in my yard and I have tried everything, round up, hotwater, salt, black plastic. The only things that has worked for me is to dig it up, about 2 feet down and try to take out as many if not all the rhizomes you can. That was 4 years ago and I am still pulling it up.The original plant was about 5 feet by 5 feet and now I just get about dozen shoots that I pull up by hand. If I don't stay ontop I am sure it will grow back. They say if there are rhizomes present in the soil, no matter how small the plant will re-establish itself.. The problem is it has established itself in the neighbours yard and the roots creep under the fence to the heavily composted dirt on my side. Just another garden battle -can you live with it and landscape around it? Cutting it down heavily does reduce the overall size.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Roots from neighbor could be thwarted with root barrier.