How do I fix this - spider mites supposedly killed off banana tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Majestypalm999, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Majestypalm999

Majestypalm999 Active Member

About a week or two ago, I noticed some aphids on my ensete banana. After spraying the trunk twice with a mixture of dish soap and water, they disappeared.
    However, there were these orange spider mites on the trunk, but not very many. The dish soap wouldn't get rid of them.
    A few days ago, I noticed the banana's leaves dying off/hanging down. The next day, I took it outside and hosed it off, since there were still spider mites on it.(But the spider mites didn't leave any bite marks, strangely)
    I guess the water was too powerful, since right after I hosed down the tree, it could not stand up on it's own.
    Today, the branches became extremely sensetive and came off. A white tube from the inside of one of the branches still remains, though.
    What's left of the plant's trunk is extremely soft, and slimy.
    What do you think I should do about it? Do you think I could bring the tree back by cutting off & saving the very bottom with the roots, letting that dry out, and planting it?

Thanks

2. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Is the plant all dry rite now? if not wipe it down with a towel. let the soil dry out (if it is all soggy) the roots may bee roting. you may want to transplant it into a bigger pot with dry soil if the roots are rotting. use some (soft)string to hold up the leaves/soppurt it. also can you take some pictures of it? like the hole plant,close up of the leaves,trunk,pot? What kind of banana tree is it? Do you grow it in your house or in a green house?

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If you saw solitary orange mites walking around by themselves those were predator mites and should have been left alone. Spider mites are minute and congregate on plants beneath fine webbing, to suck plant juices. They are much too small for their piercing mouth parts to leave visible bites marks, a lens may be needed just to see the individual mites themselves. When sufficiently numerous infested plant parts become first finely speckled (stippled) and then all yellow, ultimately brown and scorched-looking if damage becomes that severe.

The scenario you describe here really sounds like there was no serious damage occurring until the treatment efforts were undertaken.

4. Majestypalm999

Majestypalm999 Active Member

So, do you think I will be working under a limited amount of time? Is it urgent that I transplant the tree tonight, or can I wait until tomorrow?
    I wasn't able to get any pics that are clear enough for you to really get an idea of what the problem looks like, but here's the best one. http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/kuhliloach/IMG_0094.jpg

5. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I don't know much about banana plants but since I'm looking to grow some blood banana I joined www.bananas.org to find out germination conditions. I read some of the threads now and then and apparentely 'banana plants aren't dead until they're just a hole in the soil/pot' so it might be okay but if you post your picture on there they might be able to help you. A lot of people are posting about their bananas getting frozen, which can make them floppy like yours as well.

Sorry I can't help any more

6. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

No there is no rush to trans plant it. Looks like it needs alot of water though now that it has ben dried out (soil), what kind of banana plant is it? try a tray of water with rocks/pebbles in it (neaver should the soil be tuching the water) (reflictive tray/shiney tray) + you could try misting it a few times a week that will keep the humidity up.

PS.......

go with a pot a few inches bigger (width and higth) :)
    keep the soil moist.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010