How and where should I plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by brownthumb, May 8, 2004.

1. brownthumb

brownthumb Member

I just returned from a plant sale where I purchased a couple of climbing hydrangea plants (in 4 " pots). I would like to know how to plant and care for them. Also, how large will they grow and what are the flowers like. The plants look rather dainty now and the stem from the root is only about 1/2" - 3/4" in diameter. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

Hydrangea

Hydrangea anomala subsp. petiolaris can be planted anytime from Spring to Fall, in moist but well drained soils. Eastern exposure is best for them, but western is alright, try to plant in partial shade as the young plants may burn in full sun. As long as your soil is well drained you can plant it to the depth of the soil in the pot, however if the soil isn't well drained you could try planting it closer to the surface.

The flowers are small and white, but occur in bunches that can be up to 10 inches (25cm) across when your plant is larger. The plant can grow up to 80 feet tall! So make sure to plant it by a tall wall, tree, or anything else you don't mind being overgrown. I've seen it compleatly covering a large vine maple! A good website to look at (it has a picture) is http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/h/hydano/hydano3.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2004