Hope you guys don't mind a Floridian joining?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by JayNFlorida, Mar 27, 2005.

1. JayNFlorida

JayNFlorida Member

I just really love palms and have quite a few varieties growing in my yard in Central Florida. Hopefully I will be able to help out from time to time with palm questions.

I'd love to see more pics of what you guys are growing way up there!

Jay

2. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Welcome Jay.
    The main palm we grow up here is trachycarpus fortunei. Other species are chamaerops humilis, trachycarpus wagnerianus, trachycarpus takil, chamaedora radicalis, chamaedora microspadix, trachycarpus manipur, trachycarpus latisectus, jubaea chilensis, sabal palmetto and sabal minor.
    These species are pretty fool proof here but there are others we try and with varing degrees of success. Those species would include butia capitata, butia eriospatha, brahea armata, brahea edulis, pheonix canariensis to name a few.
    I am sure people like Joe from SSI could name a few more but these are the ones I have tried.

3. Palm Nut

Palm Nut Active Member 10 Years

just picked up a brahea armata, couple of chamaerops humilis and a small musa basjoo yesterday at Maple Leaf Garden Centre. One I wish would grow in our area is the bismarkia. I've taken many pictures of them while in Mexico, Domininican Republic and St Maarten. They are gorgeous.. If only.....

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Wes: speaking of Joe at SSI (Banana Joe C.) is he hiding around here somewhere? I have threatened to go see him out there but so far no follow through, perhaps this Summer I can get out there for a tour. I met him about 1990 when he was living over here and was already nuts about anything palm or banana... cool guy.

5. I really like Windmills also. I have one about 10" tall that I'm growing (Grew from a seedling).

Speaking of Bismarks... I have one which I've grown from a seedling and it's about 12" tall right now. Just starting to get some silver color.

Right now I'm trying the seed approach and have done quite well with some help from a friend who really knows his stuff. I'm now wondering what to do with all of my young Palms!

6. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

jimmyq

I have noticed Joe posting on this website recently. If you want to contact him he is on the http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest/ discussion page almost every day.
    He is very informative.