honeysuckle

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by petrina, Jan 30, 2005.

1. petrina

petrina Member

Ariel10black

I have a problem with my honeysuckle (sorry, don't know the type--came from my parent's home in Kamloops about 18 years ago); after its lovely pink and pale orange blossoms start to fade, mildew sets in, and the leaves begin to fall, leaving bare vines instead of leafy ones. One plant is on the east wall of the house, under an eaves; I thought perhaps it might do better on a south side, so took a clipping and grew on on an airy trellus on the south; same problem. (Maybe I should have started with a fresh plant.) I am reluctant to dig the whole thing out, as it flowers so prettily each spring, but after the blossoms, it becomes unsightly. Any suggestions, explanations, cures?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

While some of these are quite prone, varying with the particular kind, you probably would get less mildew if it weren't near the concrete foundation of the house, which is probably causing the soil to be dry most of the time (the roof overhang won't be helping either). Try one out in the garden. It might become acceptable.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Patrina,

Great advice from Ron. You might also want to try one of these homemade organic recipes for powdery mildew. I would suggest you treat any new cuttings as well as clean up all leaves that fall on the ground as soon as you can.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=204

Newt