Honeycrisp apple help

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by amirhgil, Sep 29, 2022.

1. amirhgil

amirhgil New Member

I need some expert advice.
    My Honey Crisp Apple tree I planted in 2018. One of the main beach has broken due to heavy wind. I cut it from the spot it broken as you can see in the photo. Now it is getting brown and the skin of the branch has started brown. I am worried it might be effect to the main branch above the trunk. Any advice? Please see the photo.

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The problem is due to leaving a long, bare stub above the side branch below and to the right. The broken branch should have been removed just above that side branch with a smooth, downward sloping cut. The original cut also appears to be very rough, trapping water and encouraging fungal spores to germinate. It looks like the whole branch, down to the trunk, is now infected and rotting; it is possible that the infection already has spread into the trunk. It may be too late, but you might still be able to save the trunk by cutting the infected branch close to the trunk and applying a penetrating fungicide, if there is such. It would be useful to have this inspected by a professional arborist.