Homemade Beer Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Amany, May 4, 2007.

1. Amany

Amany Member

Hello there.

I am wondering if any of you use that homemade beer fertilizer that's floating around online.

1 12 oz can of beer (not light)
    1/2 cup of ammonia
    1 cup of epsom salt
    2 cups of water

(Some recipes call for 1/2 cup of black strap molasses and 4 tablespoons of bloom booster as well)

Mix it together well. Keep it in a plastic or glass container. Use one tablespoon of the solution per gallon of water and use it monthly. It's supposed to work on all types of houseplants. Succulents too.

I'm wondering if anyone has used it and what the results were.

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

Ive used one that is similar that uses ammonia, dish soap and fish fertilizer. I use a hose end sprayer with it and apply monthly. It doesn't seem to have hurt anything and I'm sure that the dish soap helps clean off the plants a bit. I usually rinse the plants (dial the sprayer to water only) so there isn't a soap residue on the plants.

Anne

3. Ines

Ines Active Member

I have been using it for a few months now and don't really see any change. I heard so much about it making a miraculous, overnight difference...not with my plants.

4. cgjedi

cgjedi Active Member

I wanted to give a success story for this fertilizer. I first read about this recipe on the Epiphyllum Forum. ( see post #75 http://www.epiforums.com/showthread.php?t=321&page=8&pp=10). I gave the alternate formula (post #75) a try and noticed very fast results. Epiphyllum and Schlumbergera cacti started making growth within a couple of weeks. The Plumeria I had started really growing and looking a lot more healthy. I used it in my vegetable garden and for fruiting vines and all did wonderfully. I am totally sold on it and am looking forward to using it from the start for this year's growing season.

5. outdoormen

outdoormen Member

Hi Amany....I have Used The Beer Fertilizer....But My Call's For
    1 Can of Beer (NO Light )
    1 Can of Coke (NO diet )
    1/2 Cup of Liquid Dish Soap ( NOT Dishwasher ) Dawn Work's the Best
    1/2 cup of Liquid Ammonia
    1/2 Cup of Mouthwash
    Mix in a pull behind Sprayer 10 to 20 gal's
    Spray early Morning or Later Evening Do this Every 3 week's or Year round if in warmer Zone's.......Have Fun With this I Do....LOL...Friend's & people are mad at Me My grass is GREENER all summer long