Propagation: hollyhock

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by vicarious1, Oct 3, 2010.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Does anyone know how HOLLYHOCK multiplies? Are the balls on the stem after flowering the seeds? Are they to be collected now and then dried?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010
  3. joe wadge

joe wadge Member

The seeds of the hollyhock are inside that ball. Just dry them out and open them up and you
    seeds. I grew some this year from seed and I got some nice plants but no flowers I believe they
    flower in the second year. Being a perrennial they are quite hardy but I mulch the for the winter.
    Good luck it's easy. Start them begining of March.

4. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Yea I will have plenty of seeds but I only have BLACK although I like it .
    If you want some let me know. My pleasure. I must admit the do not look so apetizing
    once they have had their big blooming session. I have been told to take care they multiply like crazy .
    I have a 3m wall in front of our hous( we live in a terraced area) and I thought of putting the seeda all along the wall than I can just put a few strings and stand them up straight against the wall.
    I saw the utmost beautiful Hollyhock in Davie street communal garden they where white and sort of frilled like a white ball. Never seen in the shop seeds
    these were grown from a lady that was on this forum ...
    Sooooo pretty ....the white ones I wish there was someone out there to trade