Identification: Hobbit-Height Plant with Distinct Single Stem and Leave Structure and Small White Flowers

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by jason9v, May 21, 2019.

1. jason9v

jason9v Active Member

Hello Everyone,

Do you know what this plant is? It is roughly half the height of an average adult, has a nice distinct structure of a single stem, with long slender leaves coming out, sometimes in pairs, and sometimes not in pairs. It also has a cluster of small white flowers at the top.

Elevation : 1100 m
    Season : Late July

Jason

Plant 11 - 1 Overview.jpg Plant 11 - 2 Detail.jpg Plant 11 - 3 Detail.jpg

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Chamaenerion angustifolium, which you'll find in most references as Epilobium angustifolium

jason9v likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seattleite Peter Zika authored the Onagraceae section of the 2018 (University of Washington Press) edition of Flora of the Pacific Northwest, where it says Chamaenerion means "like a small oleander".

In the examples asked about here I see unopened flower buds rather than small white flowers. Although at least one quite lovely white variant has been present in local cultivation I have only seen the typical pinkish-purple to rose-purple flower color on all wild C. angustifolium encountered. And I have encountered a lot of them.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    Daniel Mosquin and jason9v like this.