Hoarstail and herbicides

Discussion in 'Plants with Spores (Ferns, Mosses, et al.)' started by Beige, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Beige

Beige Member

Good rainy day.

I have hoarstail in my lawn and I used to get rid of it by herbicides. What is a better way of eradicating from the lawn.

Thanks

Beige

2. joe in Edmonds

joe in Edmonds Member

Suggest following site, from different thread, for further information. Very difficult to control.
    <http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/hrsetail.htm>

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Save your money. Nothing will get rid of it!. Mowing your grass will keep it from looking obvious.

4. mcroteau1969

mcroteau1969 Active Member 10 Years

I have read that the best way to get rid of horsetail is to remove the favourable conditions in which it's growing. That means removing the environmental factors it prefers - acidic soil, low oxygen and low nutrients.

Can you improve your lawns drainage? Maybe it means aerating the lawn, top dressing with a bit of sand, try adding lime to alter pH of lawn, and consider feeding your lawn to boost the nutrients. Growing a healthy lawn that can out-compete weeds may be easier than fighting weeds directly.

Keep in mind a lawn program may require a bit more work to get things right but it doesn't always need herbicide.

Try this link to an article by Carol Hall addressing the issues of Horsetail.

Be patient - horsetail has been around for millions of years and it won't go away fast. Good luck.

5. vickieg

vickieg Active Member

If you don't want to spray your entire yard you might try what I do to horse tail in my flower beds. I cut it off, exposing the hollow stem and then drop a few drops of weed killer in the stem. It works and doesn't harm the neighboring flowers. It takes very little herbicide so there is less risk of run off.

6. Pacooski

Pacooski Member

Re: Horsetail and herbicides

I agree. My best results have come from cutting off the leaves and stem down to the first visible segment above the ground. Then use un-cut (100%) strength blackberry weed killer dropwise into the hollow stem. Works like a charm. Tedious for a big infection tho.

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If the Horsetail is in the lawn, the easiest way to get rid of it is to fertilize the grass so that it grows well and shades out the Horsetail. Cut the grass fairly high to maintain plenty of shade. Horsetail can't compete with thick grass; it typically does best in poor soils with little competition.