high-rise terrace

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by linlin, Jun 16, 2006.

1. linlin

linlin Member

Hi everyone,

We are moving into an apartment in gastown with a narrow and long deck up about 10th level. The deck is south and east facing with lots and lots of sun in the summer quite a bit of wind in the winer (on a corner of an intersection). I've done quite a bit of research and I think I've got some of the basics. However, we would like to have a couple evergreen trees that are suitable for containers and will tolerate hot hot sun in the summer and draft (wind) in the winter on higher levels. So far I haven't had any luck after much research. Evergreen magnolia seems to be okay for a east facing balcony but might not survive the south facing balcony.

Does anyone have any suggestion? We really appreicated.

Thanks so much!

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

Well I came up with a list of suggestions before I realized that you are looking for trees. Here is a list of evergreen shrubs followed by possibilities for trees.

Try an evergreen Berberis (there are also deciduous Berberis), a very tough plant that is is tolerant of full sun and windy conditions. Berberis have thorns, so make sure that is not in a location where you might brush by. An evergreen Daphne would be suitable. Japanese Holly (Ilex crenata) can tolerate those conditions. Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Golden Mop', Juniperus horizontalis 'Bar Harbour', or dwarf mugo pine would all work.

As for trees:

Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis cultivars...possible 'Smaragd', a dwarf conifer with upright conical shape).
    Juniper (Juniperus chinensis 'Pyramidalis')
    Japanese Black Pine (Pinus thunbergii)
    Strawberry tree (Arbutus unedo)
    Blueblossom (Ceanothus thyrsiflorus) - more like a large shrub
    Metake bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica) - a bamboo that will become very large and as a result create a screen. It could be a possiblity if that is the effect that you are looking for. One thing to consider, the leaves of bamboo rustle and make quite a lot of noise which may be undesirable.

It is important to consider that these conditions are very tough for plants. Be sure to provide adequate water so that the leaves do not burn as a result of the drying winds, and intense sunlight.

Good luck,

Raakel

3. Laurie

Laurie Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Check out the photographs taken here on a west-facing balcony on Lake Union in Seattle.

4. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, I definitely would NOT put a Japanese pine there - they like cool misty conditions, not the heat you apparently get. But how about a juniper? They can take your weather year round with no trouble at all.