Higasayama

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society

I purchased a new maple last year in a 3ltr pot, Acer palmatum ' Higasayama'.
    It is the first one of this cultivar I've had. It has buds, but compared to all my other maples it is not showing good swelling to date (17th March) 2020. Does anybody else have a similar experience with this cultivar? ie, is it late to leaf out. I have attached a photo of a branch. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 15844495328285802127877174293229.jpg

2. 0soyoung

0soyoung Active Member

I have a big one, about 12 feet tall and it is pushing. The red bud shields should part soon to expose the little yellow balls of leaves which is why it is sometimes called the 'popcorn tree'. It is somewhat early this year in my yard. It is happening on Orange Dream's schedule. In other years it hasn't broken bud until my Orange Dream's first leaves were out and the first flush extending.

Maybe yours just needs a bit more time. The buds should redden soon, just like other acer palmatum's do. However, what I see in the pix seems worrisome. The small branch in the lower right corner of the pic looks to be dead.

3. Acerholic

Thankyou Osoyoung. I will give it a bit more time as it's still a very young tree. I take note that yours has sometimes not leafed out until Orange dream is well into leaf. Yes I'm not certain about the right hand branch either. Purchasing small trees is something of a gamble!!!!!

4. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Well-Known Member Maple Society

I am in Hampshire and mine has a few leaves that have opened, and on Higasayama it’s really noticeable when it’s budding out. I’d wait but it doesn’t look good.
    Here’s pictures of mine taken today

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

Hi Jaybee63, many thanks for the reply and the lovely photos of your Higasayama. As you are also in Hampshire mine should be at the same stage. Think your right it doesn't look good. Probably lost this one!!!