Hibiscus vs. Mandevilla HB

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by E.Anne, May 12, 2006.

1. E.Anne

E.Anne Member

I saw a beautiful plant tonight at our local Walmart...Mandevilla HB.
    I have a new sunroom facing south and had been contemplating a Hibiscus tree.
    Now I'm not sure which would be better...Any ideas?
    I'm not really familiar with either one, other than I have seen Hibiscus when in Florida.
    Thank you.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. E.Anne

E.Anne Member

Thank you so much Newt. I appreciate the information. Now...to make a decision!!
    Maybe I'd better get one of each!!
    Anne

4. Newt

Anne, you are so very welcome! I do like the idea of getting both. Then you can compare which you like better. ;)

Newt

5. chowntown

chowntown Active Member

Hi Anne,

Personally I would choose the Mandevilla vine as I find it less tempermental (at least where I live in Victoria, BC) than Hibiscus though it would, as Newt said, need some supported trellis or even a tripod of three bamboo stakes to climb on. I think the Mandevilla vine is just gorgeous and I personally appreciate it more than Hibscus.

Either way enjoy your new plant!

-Eric

6. E.Anne

E.Anne Member

Thanks for your reply, Eric. Actually I bought one of each today- a yellow Mandevilla with a obelisk (sp?) for it to grow up on and a red Hibiscus plant that is just loaded with buds. I have a new sunroom, so I can't wait to see how they do.
    I just spent the month ofMarch in Victoria....what a beautiful city. I'd love to go back when all your plants are out. The cherry blossoms and the daffodils were fabulous!
    Anne

7. Newt

Anne, your new plants sound wonderful. I hope you post pics when they're in bloom. Ya know, bragging rights!! You get to show off the new sunroom too. :)

Newt

8. E.Anne

E.Anne Member

I'd love to show pictures when they bloom. I have a digital camera. How do I post them to this site?
    Anne

9. Newt

Anne,

This should be helpful. First click on 'Post Reply' then go from there.

"The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png ppt psd txt xls zip.

After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon."

Newt

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(or see : Attaching Images (linked to from the right-hand sidebar under Forum Help)