Hibiscus variety - help in identifying please

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by joZ, Aug 19, 2007.

1. joZ

joZ Active Member

Some help in identifying the variety of hibiscus that we have would be much appreciated. I have looked on the Internet and looked in the Library but can't quite seem to find this particular flower. It is a very mature tree as you can see. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

rose of sharon (hibiscus syriacus) also called althea its a double but cannot help with a variety name

3. joZ

joZ Active Member

Re: Hibiscus syriacus - althea

Dear mikeyinfla,
    Is the reason it is considered a syriacus, althea, is because of its 5 petals, colouring, and leaf shape?

I couldn't find a picture quite like it so I didn't think it was in this category. It also grows less like a "shrub" and more "tree-like".

4. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i have one that is about 6 feet tall kinda spindly and needs cut back though because its growing in mostly shade and still has flowers sort of a double lavender. mine sometimes in the first bloom cycle will be sort of single flowers. than the rest that year are normal. it happens mostly with my double tropical hibiscus in the spring in there first bloom cycle, the rose of sharon will do it from time to time. althea and rose of sharon are common names. hibiscus syriacus is the species name. as for variety or cultivar i have no clue. was the plant there when you got you're place or did you plant it? not in my area but some areas they will set seed pods and pop up in different places in the yard mine has never set seeds even with crossing it with other rose of sharon pollen i used to have 5 different varietys but two where not very good plants when i got them kinda sickly. the last three where one of those suposed to be three in one rose of sharon bushes it had three different cuttings in it even though it had implied grafting. i split them into three different pots when they grew into the pots i planted all three in different spots the white one died that year and the double pink one died a few years ago from to much rain had it planted in a bad spot. but the double lavendar has been growing strong. if you cannot find an exact match than it may very well be a seedling. even though it is a fairly large plant i still say it is rose of sharon

5. joZ

joZ Active Member

Re: Hibiscus variety

We've been here two years. It didn't bloom like this last year. We believe the hibiscus tree has been here over 15 years. It is over 15 feet high. It is very sturdy and looks quite healthy, but did suffer some winter damage. Some of the leaves are yellow in colour...but I am hoping this is quite natural.

Just yesterday I pruned back the dead branches.

I read that by pruning it back hard this year, after the bloom, I'll get more blooms next year, so...perhaps we will try it. It would be interesting to see if other hibiscus growers in Vancouver have seen this variety, whatever it is. I'd like to keep a record of what I have.

Thanks for your thoughts. Interesting reading about your attempts and successes. Good luck with them.