Hibiscus Rosa-sinensis

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by James D., Oct 20, 2006.

1. kia796

kia796 Active Member

They are all spectacular!
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

2. James D.

James D. Active Member

here are some more of my hibiscus now that they are outside for the summer they are blooming like crazy.

Attached Files:

3. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

any regea heat at the store james ?

4. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

are they in full sun
    also how did you get them outside, cause mine last year got a major sun burn
    leaves turned silver, but recovered afterwards.
    Al

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

we may have regea soon. im placing an order for more hibiscus soon, i will let you know. To get mine outside i just put them out there, thye grow in full sun outside and in. The trick is to put them somewhere shady first them gradually place them in more sun till they can handle full sun. Im lucky thought my house faces south and i have big windows so mine get lots of sun all year indoors so they don't burn when they are placed outdoors.

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

Oh Live2ride the new pictures that i just posted the one in the middle is regea. I know the pic on the yoder website makes it out so be yellow but its really not its more a orangey-peach, just thought i should let you know.

7. everlasting

everlasting Active Member

Hibiscus is a part of my childhood and watching all your flowers made me smile. Wat back, we gather spent flowers and leaves and grind it in mortar and pestle until we extract that slimy substance. We then add water and detergent to it and play with bubbles!

8. Laughing Dog

Laughing Dog Active Member

Thanks for the terrific photos, I was wondering if you recall the name of the middle Hibiscus of your original thread - it is a magnificent bluish hue and my wife and I both absolutely love it. Thanks

9. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

it's called silver ghost
    if you leave your mouse cursor on the picture the name is going to show for every picture.

10. Laughing Dog

Thanks, much appreciated :-)

11. James D.

James D. Active Member

Yes it is called silver ghost, it came from a university greenhouse where the proffesor of botanty have cross bred it her self.

12. James D.

James D. Active Member

I have yet another Hibiscus picture, this one I bought from a grocery store a while back and wasn't expecting much from it but it turned out very nice.

Attached Files:

13. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

nice nice :)

14. Laughing Dog

James, it truly is a lovely flower - and a terrific photo of it ... great clarity. It has great colour but I would imagine it is even more outstanding sans photo! This one did not have a name indicated - do you happen to recall it's name?

15. James D.

James D. Active Member

Sorry the name was called purple galaxy.

16. Can you tell me the name of the peach hibiscus on the left side of your posting? I bought my first hibiscus bush yesterday, and the flower looks exactly like your picture. The plant didn't have a name tag.

17. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

Bought Purple galaxy last week
    and today was its first bloom

Attached Files:

18. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

Just wanted to share a picture of the Hibiscus I have growing along my fence.
    Gene

Attached Files:

19. James D.

James D. Active Member

Bunkyx your hibiscus is very beautiful. Its almost time for me to prune my hibiscus,abutilons(flowering maples),lantanas, scented/varigated geraniums, and many other plants so i will have lots of cuttings to share with people. I will keep you updated as to which plants/varieties i will have cuttings of they are all very beautiful and very easy to root, currently i have some varigated flowering maple,white varigated rose scented geranium, hurricane lily hibiscus,carolina hibiscus, and some lantana (already rooted)

20. James D.

James D. Active Member

well i visited some friends of mine on friday and they traded me 3 more hibiscus plants for some of my orchids, so i will have more pictures to show you soon. 2 are new hibiscus (one called sweden and the other aloha) and the third was a new silvery ghost ( purplegrey one in first post) because mine didn't make it:(. The pictures in this post are of 5th diension(this is the colour it gets when it is over-fed), cassandra, dark double orange with a red centre (hard to see centre in photo) it happend to be in bloom at my friends greenhouse so i picked the flower to take the picture, it hasn't flowered for me in my garden yet.The third is Mary again but this time on a plant that wasn't supposed to be mary, now i have 2. The 4th is just a nice light pink double, very floriferous and last but not least is candy wind.

Attached Files:

21. James D.

James D. Active Member

I have some more pictures of my hibiscus blooming in the garden, they have all been seen before except the 2nd last one. There is 5th dimension with its colours/bands being very distinct this time. then there is my favorite double orange, this one always has about 6-8 open blooms per day. The next is a new one from a friend; its called Sweden, it is a mini hibiscus. the last is just a nice plain yellow.

Attached Files:

22. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Guys, those are all gorgeous! Here are some of mine; as far as I know they're all South American cultivars, but I've got no idea which ones... Thing is, they're much smaller than your flowers; they average maybe 10cm across. I wonder if that has to do with the high altitude, or with the fact that they're year-round outdoors?

The dwarf red is a common hedge here.

Attached Files:

23. James D.

James D. Active Member

Silver ghost has finally bllomed in the garden, well not "finally" i just got the new one in July. My original plant died in the winter, so my friends from a local greenhouse traded me a new one. Also in this post i finally got the right levels of light and fertilizer to get purple galaxy the right colour. Lastly, Mandarin looking very nice with its multiple blooms, its been like this for the past few weeks, just covered in blooms. I will be purchasing my own store soon complete with greenhouse so i will have lots more room for my hibiscus,orchids and all the other plants that i have, hope to have some of you come and visit it.

Attached Files:

24. splicer

splicer Member

Wow I cannot get over these fantastic Hibiscus plants every one has. I've never thought to grow one before. My wife would love them around the apartment.
    Thanks for the insperation everyone!!
    I have to ask however are the good to grow inside?

25. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Member

mine are facing a southern window all year round
    and they bloom year round