hibiscus problem

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by krish5, Aug 8, 2006.

1. krish5

krish5 Member

hi,

I bought a red hibiscus from the nursery and repotted it. It has survived well and was blooming well too. Its leaves are dark green but some of them look deformed also recently the flowers are a lot smaller in size. I wonder if thats ok or i need to do something about it. My plant has aphid problem but its not that bad as i spray my plant with light soapy water, once or twice a week. Please advise if i need to do something.

thanks
    krishna

2. Padraigan

Padraigan Active Member

I recently bought a Hibiscus too. I read all about their care when I got home. Can't remember where though. I have mine sitting outside on my back balcony about 6 ft off the ground and facing west mostly, well southwest I suppose and in a very hot climate. It has been blooming like crazy. I haven't repotted it yet because I want to find the right soil mixture before winter and bring it inside. (coconut husks being one of them) I have been giving it a litre of water per day because of the hot temps we get here & still being in the nursery pot, it dries out fast. Yesterday when I went out to water it, a small area of the plant with two big flowers about to open were covered in aphids. I sprayed it with diluted insecticide and seems to be okay today. The blooms opened. I would say just do a search in google for the care of your Hibiscus like I did and should find out everything you need to know. Sorry, I can't remember which site I got mine from.

3. shelli

shelli Active Member

Krishna,

Is your plant outside or indoors? I've been keeping one for several years. I put it outside on my porch in the summer and it thrives, flowers, is beautiful. All I have to do is water it. In the winter I bring it in and it pretty much hates that. It survives, but a lot of leaves die off, it won't flower in the house and it tends to get aphids. Oddly enough the aphids disappear outside. Now I just "winter" it under a grow light and wait till summer for it to shine again.

4. krish5

krish5 Member

hi ,

Thanks all for your reply.

krish5