Hibiscus flower...Strange!

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by hibielover, Dec 9, 2006.

1. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

hello, I just bought anouther hibiscus, and the flower that was on it, had a few tiny petals at the end of the stamin. Thats wierd enough, but when it bloomed again, the flower looked like my others [single, normal stamin] is it just a one time thing? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe. I see in the picutre it was also less pink than the one on the right.

3. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Hi Ron B, the color difference is only the change in lighting [put my cam. on floresent].hmmm, now I'm wondering if it had the one blossum in dimmer light.Maybe when it gets full grow lights it produces just the normal bloom?

4. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Well, found out the petals on the end of the stamin, are called petaloids, and the plant never had anouther blossom like the first!! Kind of dissapointing,oh well, at least its healthy.

5. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    We have a red Hibiscus, which puts out flowers the same as your plant, also double ones as well, it is a large plant, and these sports always come from the same boughs, through out the growing season, it is some twelve years old now, and continues to do it every year.

Ashizuru...........

6. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks for the reply! Do you mean the one bough has a differant flower than the other boughs? I havent noticed any more crested flowers at all. Its such a lovely plant thou, that I dont mind what ever flowers it has.

7. ashizuru

ashizuru Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,
    On our Hibiscus, each bough is at a different location on the bush, and one produces double flowers, and the other petaloids, when a plant produces a different flower, by colour or design, to the known species, we call them sports, and if they of sufficient merit, we will graft them on to a common stock to increase that particular strain, for commercial reasons, or purely to see how it performs.
    I agree with you, the Hibiscus is a fascinating plant, there are over 200 species, from herbs to large trees, mostly from warmer Clime's and are also very long lived and the fifth most popular plant in cultivation in the world.

Happy growing.

Ashizuru...........

8. hibielover

hibielover Active Member

Thanks again for your input [and completely answering my questions!] They are really fasinating plants.Whether or not it ever has another crested one, i don't know if I could graft it. I'd have to ask for your help again lol!!
    Growing On, hibielover.