hibiscus disaster

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by mikek450, Apr 10, 2006.

1. mikek450

mikek450 Member

My hibiscus house plant had aphids-I applied "Bonide All Seasons Horticultural Spray Oil", but forgot to shake it as directed. Now the plant seems to be in deep trouble-leaves yellowing, falling off, very few leaves left. I have rinsed it off as best as I could. The main trunk is a woody 1" in diameter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated-we love this plant. It really looks like all of the leaves will be gone in a very few days. Does anyone know of a way to save the plant? Would cutting it way back be recommended? Thanks.

2. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Usually when my hibiscus defoliates, it will regrow new leaves. You might try "tip pruning" (cutting off about 1/2 inch to an inch off of most of the stem ends) to stimulate the woody trunk to go into an active growth spurt, or you couls simply wait and see if the plant leafs back out.

3. mikek450

mikek450 Member

bihai, thank you very much. Your reply gives me hope. I think I'll wait a bit, keeping a close eye for new leaf buds. If none appear in a week or so, I'll try the tip pruning. Thanks again.

4. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think it will come back, really. I have had mine defoliate several times...due to leaving it out in too cold weather, and due to whiteflies. ALways releafs! They are pretty tough, good luck!

5. A.J.

A.J. Member

I have had a similar experience recently with my hibiscus. Most of the leaves at the base went yellow and dropped off. In time, fresh new leaves appeared but they did take a while to grow to any great size. Take heart!

6. James D.

James D. Active Member

You should cut it back to promote new growth also, if any flower buds apear pinch them off so the plant can put its energy into saving it self and not flowering.