Identification: hibiscuis

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Malcolm 252544, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Malcolm 252544

Malcolm 252544 Member

please can you tell me the name of this hibiscus and whether its hardy or tropical thanks for any respons mal

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Tropical. I'd suspect it's a cultivar of H. rosa-sinensis. Lovely colours!

3. Malcolm 252544

Malcolm 252544 Member

thanks for your time and knowledge i am still trying to grow the hibiscus plants have got around fourteen but find them very tempermental and touchy to grow in wales uk climate not very good thanks again mal

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Do you keep them indoors all year? I had trouble adjusting them to inside with the lower level of humidity and the buds would drop off......

5. lorax

When I lived in Northern Alberta and had indoor H rosa-sinensis, I had to mist daily to keep them from dropping buds and leaves.

6. Malcolm 252544

Malcolm 252544 Member

thanks Lorax for your reply you do believe the name of the photo is h rosa-sinensis , iam trying too take some cuttings this spring. thanks mal

7. lorax

I do believe the base name of that plant is H. rosa-sinensis. I have no idea which cultivar it is, though. It reminds me of "Sunset" but I can't be sure - there are so many!

8. Malcolm 252544

Malcolm 252544 Member

thanks for your help will be intouch with my next problems? mal

9. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

That is a nice coloured bloom, I'll be looking for one like it when I go to Edmonton, Alberta for an orchid show. I had a more standard 'red' several years ago and although it didn't bloom as often in winter as in the summer it did bloom year round. If I can aquire one of this colour I will be more diligent in pruning for spring as well pest control. My last one wasn't allowed back in the house after a summer spent on my deck (lots of growth and blooms but also picked up spider mites). I'm envious of your collection of hibiscus, must be quite a sight when in full bloom.

Shaun

10. Malcolm 252544

Malcolm 252544 Member

I have got most of the bright colours and multipull + one i am growing from cuttings its a red tumpet with a yellow band do not know the name? i think it is called wedding band hade a verey good show last year .but having trouble controling the heat in the hot house i made over this winter bettween the sun and frost in wales .uk my wife thinks i think more of them than her she calls them my little babys thanks for your reply mal