hi all

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by darren hale, Aug 13, 2004.

1. darren hale

darren hale Member

hi everyone,
    my name is Darren Hale and i'm living in limerick in ireland, I recently started working in glenstal abbey a 500 acre estate out in the county. i am currently trying to identify a couple hundred Rhododendrons around the estate with varying degrees of success.Looking forward to posting some photos and seeing if theres any help out there. thanks darren

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello and welcome Darren Hale, we certainly look forward to seeing photos of some of those beautiful rhodies.

3. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

Darren, welcome.

With about a thousand species, tens of thousands of named hybrids and an untold number of unregistered hybrids, the chance of getting a positive ID are slim. I do not wish to discourage you, by all means, post the pictures. A close-up of a single flower, an image of the entire plant or a section thereof, noting the presence or absence of indumentum or tomentum and whether the plant is a lepidote or elepidote would be of great help in making a positive ID. Also, the approximate age of a plant, if it could be provided, would allow for the elimination of some of the more recent hybrids.
    Like Eric, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the images!
    Shameless plug here: click on my signature below.