Here's a tricky one. . .

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by blynb, Mar 10, 2009.

1. blynb

blynb Active Member

I've had this plant in my home for over five years and I still can't find a name. Does anyone have any ideas?
    -B.Lyn

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

looks like it's a very young adenium...is there a caudex buried right under the soil medium?

3. blynb

blynb Active Member

Yes it does. . .I actually had to re-pot it because it's caudex stuck up out of the soil. Believe it or not it's over five years old (I'm not sure if that's young or old for this) but I just can't seem to get it to grow at all. It will sprout leaves but other than that it hasn't changed. Would you happen to have any tips to growing it? Anyway, other than it's lack of growth it's one of my favorites it's good to finally have a name to put to it. . .it's so embarrasing when someone asks me what it is and all I can say is "um, I think it's a tree of some type" :) Thank you, b.lyn

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps you could re-post in Caudiciforms/Pachycaul Trees forum. I am certain you'd get all sorts of information and advice!
    I am not a C./P. Tree grower myself, but, from what I understand, slow-growing is not unusual with these plants.
    Good luck to you both!

5. blynb

blynb Active Member

That's a relief. . .i was beginning to wonder if maybe i was doing something to keep it from growing.
    I'll check out the right forum, until yesterday I thought this was the only one :-/ thank you
    -b.lyn

6. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Hi blynb,
    My adenium are happy with cactus soil+ sand and barely water it, summer outside, winter inside and just all purpose plants food... it flower every year but almost die last summer because of the rains... you have that beautiful self-watering bulb, maybe it keep the soil too moist...

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Moved to caudiciforms forum for you.

8. blynb

blynb Active Member

Thank you. . . I think I'll try the sand. . .it's due for a thorough root cleansing and inspection anyway. . .have you (or anyone else) tried grow lights on it and if so does it help any?

Oh, and those globes are a Godsend. I have them in just about all of my plants. When i added it to the adenium the leaves doubled in size in a little under a week. I love those things.

Anyway thank you for your input. . .I hate to keep bothering you all but keep an eye out - I have just recently been given two new houselants (one of which looks like a miniature palm tree) Anyway I'll be posting them as soon as i get pictures. I just hate getting a plant with no information card, don't you!?

-b.lyn

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Yeah---there oughta be a law! And even when there IS a info thingey, it often will have on it something like "Tropical Foliage Plant" or "Phalaenopsis Orchid". Uh, like I already KNEW that! Sooo not helpful!

About the AquaGlobes: I am not one to go for the trendy thing du jour. (Ask my daughter how chic my clothes are!) However, I did get 2 of the A.G.s. They are GREAT in my huge hanging Boston fern---they solve 2 problems: 1. the fern is way heavy and unwieldy to unhook and tote to the shower; and 2. the fern is a thirsty thirsty plant. ---It has cheered up noticeably since I inserted the A.G.s! ---(Word to any readers interested in acquiring same: as the directions tell you, remember that the things are made of glass...poke a pilot hole in the dirt before you insert the A.G.) They are like anything else---they're gonna work great for some plants; others, not so much. Choose wisely!

10. blynb

blynb Active Member

If only the info cards could be just a hint more scientifically correct! Heheh, would you believe that when they first came out (A.G's) I held off on buying them for over a year. There's always some 'new amazing' thing. . .but when I noticed they were sticking I knew then that they just might be worthwhile. Glad I tried them.

11. corcor

corcor Active Member

they like to dry out a bit between waterings so the a.g. might not be the best thing for them, remember they are a succuent. I water mine once the caudex begins to get a little soft. I have it under a grow light and it helps the growth to be more compact, was very leggy when i 1st purchased it. I use a fired clay for soil to prevent overwatering, turface is the brand it is used in baseball fields and golf corses to keep the grass so nice.

12. blynb

blynb Active Member

Where can you get the turface? And could crushed clay from pots mixed with a light soil provide the same effect?

Thanks for letting me know that because i actually wanted to put the golbe in a parlor palm (too cheap to buy another one at the time but didn't want to deprive a plant of much needed regular water) but you're dead right it doesn't like that much. awesome for my palm, :)