Identification: Hen of the Woods (Grifola frondosa)

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by DWelfelt, May 8, 2009.

1. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

Photo taken @ Schermerhorn Park, Galena, KS

Attached Files:

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

Looks kinda Brainy!!

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Maybe the colors in the photo are off, but this really looks like Laetiporus sulphureus to me, which is 'Chicken of the woods', as opposed to 'hen of the woods'.

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Yes, Laetiporous sulphureus Chicken of the Woods.

Much tastier, IMO and much, much easier to clean.

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

haha...I was about to get upset that you were finding the Hens already! But this Chicken is just GORGEOUS! And to me even tastier then the Hens are....try with eggs!
    Are you guys getting more rain them I am up here? I've hardly seen ANY mushroom activity up this direction. I do know that the Chickens don't seem to mind dry spells though?

6. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

This was in the middle of three or four days of rain @ Schermerhorn Park, Galena, the first weekend in May. Mushrooms have been slow to show up in Harvey Co. Soil temp is still pretty cool.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

This is the only Chicken I've seen so far. I was driving thru a lake area and happened to glance over and see a bright pink.
    The place I saw last year was cut down...so don't know if it'll have one or not again?
    We had a 2-day rainfall...and then it dried up. Mid 80's temps yesterday and today. Yack.
    Mushrooms here are EXTREMELY slow as well. Fungi I expected to see by now aren't showing anywhere. One of my favorites is the Netted Rhodotus....I've seen in 3 places LAST year? No show yet this one. :o(

Attached Files: