Help with Yuzu

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by georgia.winstanley, Apr 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. georgia.winstanley

georgia.winstanley New Member

Please help with my yuzu trees! They spent the winter outside and survived fine, I reported them into new pots about two weeks ago with well draining soil and a citrus fertilizer. They are in a south facing location and I try to water only when the top few inches of soil drys out. The leaves on my bigger tree have been curling downwards and falling off at an alarming rate. Some of the leaves have these brown spots on them that are perhaps sunburn. There looks like there is new growth but these leaves also have the brown spots. Some leaves have black spots. I have treated for potential pests using a spray with neem. My other smaller trees leaves are yellow but not falling off. They have received the exact same treatment. I’m in zone 8.

Attached Files:

2. SoCal2warm

SoCal2warm Active Member

I could be wrong, but I suspect the type of soil you used in the new container is not very good at holding moisture.
    Either that, or you might have done severe damage to the root system when you were digging them up and transplanting them.
    Keep the soil level moist, watering every 3 days if needed, but not too muddy either.

What I'm seeing on those drying curled up leaves indicates they are suffering from water stress, meaning it is either too hot and dry (which would be a weird thing since you're in Victoria), or that there is an issue with the root system or soil moisture.

Could have been root rot as well, if the soil was too waterlogged earlier.

It might be possible you used too much fertilizer, which could be resulting in salt burn. I mention this because I see some white residue on some of the leaves.

Make sure you don't have aphids or leafminer because that can cause leaf curl too.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. Will B

Will B Active Member

Hi Georgia, I think we spoke a bit over email already, but a couple of additional tips based on these new photos:
    1- when looking at the photo with the black spots (and your thumb), it looks like there may be aphids on the under sides of the leaves. Take a very close look at the undersides of the leaves, particularly near the veins. Aphids can cause leaf curl. Here is a link that also discusses other possibilities for the type of leaf curl you are seeing: How to fix curling citrus leaves
    2- the plant with the yellow leaves seems to be a bit deficient in nitrogen. You might want to give it a dose of miracle grow or other fertilizer high in nitrogen.

4. georgia.winstanley

I think I found a few aphids on the leaves that were dead from spraying them. Would the aphids be causing the leaf drop? I have some miracle grow for the hose that I’ll use when I water again.

5. Will B

Will B Active Member

Yes, aphids can cause leaf drop and curling leaves. Essentially aphids pierce the plant and suck the juices out, causing all the symptoms associated with lack of moisture and nutrients. Leaf drop can occur whenever there is an imbalance, such as a loss of moisture or nutrients.

6. georgia.winstanley

Okay, I’ll use the spray I have and make sure everything gets coated. I’ll update in about a week or so if the problem gets better. Thanks for your help!

7. georgia.winstanley

Hi again, the more I read about citrus trees the more I worry that I’ve planted them into pots too big for them now... should I keep them in the pots and hope for the best or should I put them into smaller ones?

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

My opinion is that disturbing the roots is worse than having too big a pot, so I would not transplant them again into the smaller pot. If you do transplant them then please be sure to read through my transplanting citrus page: Transplanting | Aprici

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020