Help with trimming ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by bonya99, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bonya99

bonya99 Member

Hello!
    I'm new here and need some advice on how to trim my ponytail palm. I have 2 of them sitting in the same large pot - this is the way i bought them. They look to be thriving with new foliage sprouting out contantly but now one of them has gotten way too bushy. Leaves are so long and trail on the floor (and the pot i have has a raised tripod stand) and the top seems to be too heavy so it has tilted a little and i'm afraid it's going to break off one day. Also, the leaves seem to be breaking in the middle where they bend due to the length and weight.... I have some pictures attached to this post - please take a look. I just need an advice on how to trim it the right way so it stays healthy and looks well. I really like this plant.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Trimming Beaucarnea to make them appear "better" is a bit difficult without being radical to the point of pruning the branches or main stalk. There are a few threads discussing this procedure in this forum.

This is a photo of one of my Beaucarnea that I trimmed in the Spring of 2008. It has over 12 new stalks and seems to be filling out nicely as of this Fall 2009.

Attached Files:

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what you have is VERY healthy/happy plants - the growth you are seeing is the completely normal thing and i wouldn't recommend any kind of pruning. this is the way the ponytail palm is supposed to look!!

4. bonya99

bonya99 Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the responses! I'm just worried that it can break off (the whole thing or partially) and I'll have to cut the whole top off... Also, the leaves break at the point where they bend...But it does look very healthy.