Help with sick hydrangea

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by lauraf, Jun 23, 2007.

1. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hello,

I am hoping that someone might help me understand what is wrong with my Lanarth White Lacecap Hydrangea. The growth is stunted, the leaves are perhaps a quarter the size they should be, many of them are pale green/yellow instead of the regular dark glossy green. Some have little "nibbles" along the edges, but I don't see any evidence of bugs. The leaves are not droopy, they are all firmly attached to the stems (i.e. I don't see any leaves on the ground), and I can see the flowers starting.

The hydrangea was planted about a year ago, it gets sun until 10am, after which it's under the shade of large street trees (I'd say it's a medium/bright shade, rather than deep shade). It's planted near some hedge plants, but I don't think it gets much root competition. It's watered regularly. I live in Victoria, BC, so the weather is generally cool and it has been quite rainy up to now.

I'd really like to save this plant - I can move it if I have to, but I'd first like to know what it is that it doesn't like about its current location (too much water? too little sun?)!

Many thanks,
    Laura

Attached Files:

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Laura--I'm fairly certain that your hydrangea has been nibbled on by weevils, the notches look pretty diagnostic. I've never had weevil damage on a hydrangea tho, so would prefer if someone else confirmed that.

If it is weevils, they are probably past the beetle stage,where you could catch them at night munching. The more destructive stage is now happening underground with young weevil larvae that will be chewing on the hydrangea roots, causing the stunted, and yellow leaves that you are seeing.

With a recently installed plant, these pests could have come in with the container of soil...or they may have migrated from your hedge.

Either way, I have had best control using nematodes applied around Labor Day. (Various insecticides are probably also effective, but very hard on the environment...so not an option for me...)

What do others think?

3. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Agree with growest, root weevils are likely your problem, maybe check base of plant to see if stems may be girdled. Would likely do better without the root competition and a good mulch. The weevil larvae would likely be noticeable in the roots if you decide to move it. They're about 1/2", C shaped, and whitish.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Planting site too dry, hydrangeas really go for the water. Have even seen them used around cabin in mountain rain forest near Volcano, Hawaii - that's the kind of conditions they like. Some leaves on yours actually starting to flag in photo.

Heavy weevil damage often associated with dry sites under low-branching conifers or building overhangs. I've actually dug up an overhung rhododendron that looked like your hydrangea for years, moved it out under the open sky and had subsequent growth escape heavy damage. Move to a better spot, away from low conifer branches and leaf size and color will improve.