Rhododendrons: Help with Rhody Species

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by ulchi, Jul 24, 2009.

1. ulchi

ulchi Member

I have recently grown the Rhody species "R. Tomentosm". These seeds came from the Amur river region in southeastern Siberia. They grew fast and got their first flowers in 6 months. I read everything on the internet about growing Rhody's and I want to get the seeds to plant for next year. Can anyone help me with what part of the plant I should cut during the fall so that I can get the seeds? Do I just cut off the little seedlings or do I cut the entire stem back. No one seems to have any information about this particular Rhody and when I contact the Rhody Society here no one returns my email. Thank you!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If fertilized (pollinated) flowers will turn into capsules that become brown and split open to release the tiny, bran-like seeds. These are what you collect and sow to get new plants. Do not cut any other part of the plant. The bunches of mature capsules can be gathered by snapping or snipping them out at their bases, being careful not to break the shoots immediately around them in the process.

Rhododendrons set flower buds on the ends of the shoots produced the same summer, to open the following year (except for occasional instances of premature bloom in fall). Cutting back in fall would result in removal of flower buds. Since most new growth is made during or right after bloom, timing of fall pruning would also be off for that reason.

Searching the internet for phrases like "rhododendron propagation" "rhododendrons from seed" etc. should turn up relevant discussion. Since you have already grown this species apparently quite successfully from seeds you would seem to know what to do with them after they are gathered from the plants. There are books available on rhododendrons that talk about how to grow them, too. Since you are in Seattle availing yourself of the Elizabeth Miller Library at the Center for Urban Horticulture should be possible. See their web site for details. They have been open on Monday evenings for some years in order to serve those not available during regular business hours. There you will find multiple books on rhododendrons as well as a file with many years of the American Rhododendron Society periodical.

3. ulchi

ulchi Member

Thank you Ron! I don't want to kill them and I only have 7 growing but they grow like weeds and are already producing flowers and seeds. I guess when you come from an extreme part of the world you have to grow quickly. I'll do as you say about my local resources and thank you very much again!

4. Herman56

Herman56 Member

Well,

Rh. Tomentosum must be a very peculiar specie.
    I have never heard of any rhododendron producing flowers within 3 years, let alone in 6 months.

Could you post a photo Ulchi?

Kind regards,

Herman van Ree
    http://www.hirsutum.info

5. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years