Help with Pygmy date palm seed

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by lemonblueberry, Jul 27, 2008.

1. lemonblueberry

lemonblueberry Member

Hello, I have a Pygmy Palm that has some seed. It looks like something may be eating the seeds. They are small & green. I took some and planted them in some potting soil as they are. Also, I took some seed and removed the fruit & planted the seed in potting soil. I really have no idea what I'm doing. I have some questions:

Will the seed be a different color when they are ready for picking?
    Can I pick the seed off now before something eats them all?
    Do I have to remove the fruit before planting?
    How long till something sprouts?

Any information on this would be helpful. Thank you.

2. Dylan G

Dylan G Active Member

I tried growing some a while ago from seed. I picked what I thought were mature fruit/seed because they had turned from green to very dark. I removed the fruit but I am not sure if it matters. Several months later some of them came up. These were done outside without too much care. From the palms that I have tried to grow patients seems to be the important thing. These include Washingtonia spp. Jubaea chiliensis, Butia capitata, and Phoenix spp.

3. Jason33

Jason33 Member

Ok well here is how it works, The fruit has to be ripe in order for the seed to be ready, in some cases i have germinated green fruited seeds. But for your pygmy the seeds aren't not ready to be planted or picked. I have seen many pygmy dates with green seeds but never turn any color they just fall off. I know for a fact that they change colors and get ripe so you have to wait till then. When you pick your ripe seeds, peel the fruit and make sure there is none left. Soak the seeds for about tow days you can add bleach but only a tad bit about 1/8 to your water. After that grab any kind of container big or small with a lid to create a green house effect. place enriched soil on the bottom, place seed on soil, then grab a soaked paper towel, place on top and close container and leave outside. should germinate in a month or less.
    hope this helps!
    Jason