Help with pictures

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by ofeefee, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ofeefee

ofeefee Member

Does anyone know of any squash/watermelon/pumpkin pictures that show it on the vine after the fruit begins to grow? Like when you start to plant them, 1wk, 2wk, 3wks, etc.

I was out at a piece of property we purchased in a new neighborhood and there is a large hill of debris in the back that has ample amount of dirt along with sticks and such.

I went walking back there yesterday and noticed it was covered in vines, upon closer inspection I could see some type of fruiting body growing on them. One of the smaller bodies about 1" was a light yellow with some green striping making me think they were watermelons, however, the bigger bodies about 2" are orange.

I'm going to go take some pictures tomorrow when I'm off of work and post them up here, I'm curious what they are. About 3 weeks ago we found a wild watermelon about the size of a softball, I cracked it open and it indeed appeared to be watermelon related, I then threw it in the general direction of this hill that's now covered in vines, however, I've never heard of anything growing that quickly, but it's possible this fruit was from these original vines.

I'll try to get those pictures since you probably will know it when you see it, but if you have an idea of some sites that show the growth progression, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Derek