Help With My Japanese Snowball Tree

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Pelle56, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Pelle56

Pelle56 Member

Hello All,

I will admit that I know nothing about this big tree in my back yard. Until about a week ago I thought it was supposed to look like a tree but apparently it’s supposed to look shrub-ier. A few months back we had a really bad wind storm and my "tree" was blown over, it sat at a 45 degree angle for about 4 months. I thought for sure it was dead, but within the last couple of weeks it has put out little buds. Yah! So my tree is alive, but how do I get it upright? Hmmm... It's about 10 feet tall and probably has been around as long as I have. A friend that knows roses came over and helped me cut off all of the older limbs/vines (??) and we kept the youngest/best/straightest ones and staked it upright. It looks terrible...I am sure within a couple of years it will be the crowning glory it was but for now it looks pretty pitiful. Is there anything that I can give the tree or just let it be? Does anyone have general advice on how to care for this kind of tree. How do I prune it....do I need to? Do I cut off the new vines/limbs or cut off the oldest ones? Is there a website that would be helpful for me? Anything would be helpful.

Thank you in advance,

Katie