help with michelia maudiac

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Jo-Anne, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne Member

I purchased this plant at about 5 feet of height last year as the centre piece of our front garden. It is having a really difficult time even though we are in Victoria British Columbia which I understand is up to Zone 8 or 9 and the plant is a Zone 7.

We planted it in Feb 05 and it started to loose leaves which we expected but then the braches started to go black (starting from the ground) and a kind neighbour advised that the plant had been planted too deep. So in August I lifted it up and put some pine cones around it. The soil had just been ordered and was a soil mulch mix suggested by the garden designer. We also put chips on top of the soil.

As we had, at the same time, installed an water irrigation system we were able to provide all the newly trasplanted plants with ample water. The Michelia started to look like it would make it.

Well I don't know if I turned the water system on too early in the season (April 2006) but all our plants started to turn yellow so I have now stopped the watering after the kind neighbour showed me how to check the soil for moisture....boy was it wet!

What I would like to know is if this plant is going to come back or should I just pull it out now. It looks absolutely pathetic although it did bloom this year which my neigbour says is a good sign. I have given the plant magenesium just when I began watering at the beginning of this month as I was told that it would help the soil (kind neigbour again who has similiar soil).

I will try attaching a picture of this poor specimen to see if anyone could help me.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Spellcheck: Magnolia (Michelia) maudiae

May be at Death's door. Lift, shake off much/most of old potting soil, replant promptly in less sodden native soil, elsewhere on property. Mulch and water as needed. Inspect for foliage mildew, spray if present. Stem blackening may perhaps be lilac blight (Pseudomonas), this should be treated for also as it can be destructive.

Probably both potting soil it came in and purchased "topsoil" having pH and nutrient problems, due to leaching and decomposition.

3. Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne Member

Is there any way that I can get the soil check for the correct PH level? What is the correct PH level anyway?

Thanks

Jo-Anne

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years