Help with Little Lime Hydrangea

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by gardenmist, Jan 22, 2022.

1. gardenmist

gardenmist New Member

Please tell me what I should do with my Little Lime hydrangea? It's been in this container for the past year or so. Should I take it out of the pot or plant it in the ground? The branches are rather skinny so should I just leave them or prune them? Should I fertilize it? If this was yours, what would you do with it? lol - Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

There is a lot of good information about Little Lime Hydrangea on this website (and others): Little Lime Hydrangea Care: A Gardener’s Guide To Dwarf Limelight Hydrangeas.

"Prune Little Lime Hydrangea in late winter or early spring, preferably while the shrub is dormant. Pruning at the start of the growing season encourages the growth of stems and flower buds. The best time to prune Little Lime shrubs is just as the snow has melted. The shrubs are still dormant, but it’s warm enough to be out in the garden."

I know that this cultivar is said to be perfect for container growing but, to me, the container yours is in looks a bit snug; perhaps time to move into something a little larger.

3. gardenmist

gardenmist New Member

Hi Margot,
    Thanks for your help. After giving it some thought, I think I'll just take it out of the pot and plant it in the ground. Now I'll go read the link you sent to me. Thanks so much for your help.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hydrangea is a lovely plant

I think try to replicate the permanent planting spot with where it’s done well so far

shade and well-drained yet moist
    And no sudden outflow winter air

or hot afternoon summer sun

I have grown the old fashioned hydrangeas (bloom on old wood?)

and some lace caps

and I have tried variegated leaves

and another one

today I have one blushing bride (everlasting blooming). Blushing Bride Bigleaf Hydrangea | Endless Summer

And it does well with my simple level of care at the cold part of coastal Vancouver BC (ie Squamish outflow - like you might get Fraser Canyon outflow in the eastern Fraser Valley)

I have posted pix in various seasons in the PacNW forum thread called virtual garden tour started by @Margot

5. gardenmist

gardenmist New Member

Hi Georgia,
    Thank you for your suggestion. Yes, I am going plant my Little Lime where it will get filtered light. It did quite well there. It is about 3 years old now.
    Blushing Bride is beautiful. I don't have that one. I have Limelight, and 3 Bobo hydrangeas (I planted those in my garden bed last spring. We'll see how they do this year.
    Now I'm off to to take a peek at your pics in the Virtual Garden tour. . I hope your Blushing Bride blooms her head off for you.