Help with Lemon Balm

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jenn p, Mar 15, 2011.

1. jenn p

jenn p Member

Hello,

I have a small Lemon Balm I've started from seed (it's in a small container with no drainage holes, but about 1" of gravel at the bottom) -- plant is only about 15cm tall so far but the ends of the leaves have begun to turn brown and the leaves are turning downward.

I was told that perhaps it is because my water is chlorinated, but my other container plants (arugula, mustard, mesclun mix, thyme, oregano) seem ok and leaves are normal.

At first I thought it was too wet, so intentionally did not water for over a week hoping to dry the soil out a bit, then have been watering about 1-2 times per week -- there seems to be no change in the plant's health -- Please Help!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Cheers,
    Jenn

2. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

Drainage is probably the most important part about growing plants in pots. I would repot it in a fresh batch of soil with drainage holes and see what happens.

3. jenn p

jenn p Member

Thanks!

I was suspecting that perhaps I should re-pot . . .

Any tips on what one can do with a decorative pot without drainage holes?
    The pot the Lemon Balm is in is ceramic and pretty, but lacking proper drainage . . . obviously the gravel is not enough (although my arugula and mesclun are in pots with plugged drainage holes and 1" gravel on the bottom and are doing ok) for the Lemon Balm.

Could I plant something else which likes more moisture?

Thanks again,
    Jenn

4. Sunset Cycads

Sunset Cycads Active Member 10 Years

You could just plant it in a plastic pot that fits nicely inside the pretty ceramic pot and then take it out for watering, making sure no water stays in the bottom of the ceramic pot. That is what I do. Or you could drill holes in the ceramic pot. Otherwise, if you are talking herbs and vegetables, mint loves a very wet soil.

5. jenn p

jenn p Member

Thanks again!

I have re potted into a plastic pot with 1" gravel and drainage holes using fresh potting soil -- I didn't notice mould or anything else strange on the root ends, but I guess I will see what happens next!

I did notice that the roots of the one plant were almost larger than the plant itself! Perhaps it would be happier in a larger container . . . hmmm . . . I guess I will see.

Cheers,
    Jenn