Help With Large Pencil Cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by killworks, Jun 18, 2005.

1. killworks

killworks Member

I "saved" this large pencil cactus from a freind and now I need some help with it.
    It is about 6 feet tall, but the bottom 3 feet of the plant is bare. No branches or growth of any kind. All the green and very fast growing stems are all on the top 2 feet of the plant.

I have read about cutting and trimming the plant but here is what I would like to know.

Can a trans-plant the larger branches from the top of this plant and have them make it? (they are 12 to 14 inch in length, growing fast and are in good shape)
    Can I cut the plant off at about 6 to 8" inches above the soil and have it start branching out again?

thanks in advance

2. melonhead

melonhead Member

I have a 7' pencil cactus that I have cut the top off about three times. I put it outside as soon as the weather here permits and leave it out for the summer till it starts to get down to 45 degrees F at night. It ususally grows so much that I have to cut it off to get it inside through the door. I leave the cuttings sitting for a week or two to scab over and then root them in water. Then I plant them. I have never had the bottom of the plant put out any new growth. It has a trunk just like a tree about 3-1/2' to 4' of bare trunk. I don't know if you cut off all the top growth that the bottom would put out new shoots. I do know that the top would root if left in water after hardening off the new cut.

3. ahha1906

ahha1906 Member

I have a Pencil cactus that is about 9' tall. I want to cut off about 3' so I can put it outside for the summer. The base is about the size of a quarter. I have had "Robert Plant" for seventeen years and I don't want to hurt him. I have never cut him so drastically, I'm a little scared.

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

The plant should be fine with heavy pruning. Make sure to start a new thread next time, as your question was buried in an older one.

5. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

Exactly what species are you people talkng about here? Is it the pencil cholla? I have that growing outside year round here.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. kalmia

kalmia Active Member

I think the one I have is Opuntia kleiniae. It is very cold hardy.

8. Net

Net Member

Hello My name is net , and yes you can cut off large branches and repot them Ifind that the smaller the pot the larger the plant they like sandy dirt mixed with clay just cut the stalk push it down in a pot and water it good, then every now and then check it you will find that after a good rain they thrive with new growth,and they love direct sun, i have cut limbs from mine and nowhave a lot of these Catus' I just love em...they are very low maintance until they get very large and you have to cut them back. well i hope this helps you out, if you need to know anything else that I may be able to help you with on this Catus let me know...

9. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

Anyone want to post a picture of their gigant pencil trees/cacti ? I don't have one of these plants yet but I would like to see pics.

10. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Some pics and a discussion of how to prune and propagate Euphorbia tirucalli are here at this thread.