Help with indoor grapefuit tree please?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by KateKat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. KateKat

KateKat New Member

About 20 yrs ago, I found a grapefuit tree in an empty office at work, no leaves, looked dead. Started watering it and it bloomed! I've had it since then and love it. But a couple months ago it started getting dry tips at the leaves and leaves were falling off 5-7 per day. It was nice and lush not so long ago and don't know what happened. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Well if you've been taking care of this tree for 20 years without any problem until now you must be doing something right. Perhaps there was a change in the tree's environment two months ago. What things happened around that time? Was it moved? Repotted? Fed with a new fertilizer?

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

You don't say where in Canada - has it been unusually sunny and hot, so needs extra water, or has it been cloudy and cold and it's been getting too much water? Actually, it looks more like sunburn to me. Is there still any soil after 20 years?

4. KateKat

KateKat New Member

It's Ottawa, Canada but the tree is indoors, in my office at work. I did repot it around Christmas time into a bigger pot, so new earth... there are hardly any leaves on it now. Sad...

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Here's a shot in the dark. Was the soil in the previous container compacted when you transplanted the tree? Was it root-bound? If so, did you take care in the process to thoroughly loosen up the old material while mixing in the new?

The scorched appearance of the leaves suggests salt damage or maybe something in the water. Does either ring a bell?