Help with identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by palerider, Mar 21, 2007.

1. palerider

palerider Member

Really like the long branches. Thanks for any help.

Shayne

Attached Files:

2. pierrot

pierrot Active Member 10 Years

Hello Palerider

from first principles if it is s fomal japanese garden could be japanese black pine Pinus thunbergi but we would beed a close up of the needles and cones to verify

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Bear in mind that this shape is not natural, but done by very careful pruning every spring over many decades

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pinus pungens produces a similar branching habit without pruning.

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would bet against Picea pungens in this instance. looks like a pine to me from the picture supplied.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ron said Pinus pungens ;-)

7. pomme8916

pomme8916 Member

Most Likely A Pine.

8. palerider

palerider Member

Ya, I know about the shaping and pruning of Japanese gardens. I was also thinking it was a black pine, but wanted a heads up from the pros over here. Ron, I think your on to something about the Pinus pungens. I posted a pic that's small, but shows a wild one that has not been shaped or pruned. Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

9. Ron B

I wasn't suggesting that the pine in the Japanese garden was a Table Mountain pine, rather that a Table Mountain pine might produce the desired effect. Next step, if wanting a similar specimen for your garden would be to find out if that species will be likely to grow on your site.

10. palerider

palerider Member

Do you know a site that would define the zones in the US and what can grow where? Also I live in salt lake city, utah where pines are pretty hearty. So I'm think it could handle it. Just a guess tho, thanks again

11. Ron B

Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK covers your area, but I don't think you'll find Table Mountain pine in it. That species wasn't in the last edition, anyway (a new one just came out, which I don't have).

You won't find a web site that can tell you what grows everywhere in the country, on all garden sites. Soils and exposures vary even on a single property, plus tens of thousands of kinds of plants are being sold and planted just here in the PNW.

Current edition of WESTERN GARDEN BOOK discusses 8000 kinds of plants.

You will have to combine web searches, including checking the site of your state extension service, any regional gardening books you may be able to find and other resources like botanical gardens and arboreta, maybe catalogs of nurseries situated in your state (including wholesale growers - if there is a college library nearby with a horticulture department they may actually have a file of these) and other resources you can discover to start getting a picture of what is possible there.

12. palerider

palerider Member

That's the kinda of info I was looking for ron. When it comes to fly fishing, snowboarding and 4 wheel driving in moab, utah I'm the guy to ask. I'm a person who loves to learn and take the pros advice. Thanks again for your support. Headed to las vegas now to play in a texas hold'em tourney this weekend. Late

Shayne