Identification: Help with ID, please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emilytw, Aug 9, 2020.

1. emilytw

emilytw New Member

Hi all!

I am a gardening newbie, and just rescued a clearance Japanese maple of unknown cultivar. Could anyone please help with identification so I can make sure to plant it where it will be happy? It has been hot and windy and dry lately, so I hope I can keep it healthy moving forward as her leaves seem a bit scorched. Thank you so much, and I look forward to learning much from you all!

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emilytw, good evening and welcome to the maples forum. It is so difficult to name a maple after a tag is lost. I would say Acer palmatum is a good bet.
    I hope others can ID it better for you.

3. emilytw

emilytw New Member

Thank you! I appreciate it and will give it my best shot.

4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@emilytw, do not worry about the scorching, this happens in the Summer when it is hot and especially drying winds. Maples do not like this. As it is in a pot, place it in an area preferably with morning sun and afternoon shade.
    Japanese maples are understory trees, so do consider this if you decide to plant it in the ground in the Autumn. Dappled light is what they prefer.

emilytw likes this.