Help with Euphorbia Atrispina!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Mary Roberts, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Mary Roberts

Mary Roberts Member

Hello, I'm new to this Forum & hope someone can help with a cactus problem! I have what I think is an Eurphorbia Atrispina (please correct me if I'm wrong, I did some research myself on the internet to identify it). I bought it from a nursery in March and up to about 2 weeks ago it was very healthy & vibrant.

Now some of the columns are drooping and have gone black. I keep it in the living room where it does not get direct sun. I live in Greece and it's now about 37 degrees outside. I've been giving it a little water about once a week, but I'm a bit scared to overwater it.

Apart from that, the new growth on the tips look very bright green & healthy.

Please can anyone tell me why it's looking a bit sad? Does it need full sun? Should it go outside (it's very hot!) Does it need more water? Should I cut off the black columns? I've been reluctant to move it or water it more in case it gets worse.

I really don't want it to die, it's my favourite cactus!

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

Hi, Kalaspera! Yes it needs full sun all day - it's definitely a cactus, and better than a little water every few days, give it a lot of water... but only monthly, and only every 2-3 months in winter.

3. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Technically speaking, Euphorbia are not cacti, but that's a bit tangential to this discussion.