Help with deciding on a cherry...

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Fine ocean parker, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

What I'm looking for is a tree that has a spectacular show and fairly early ( like now ). This is a mostly shade location with 2hr of sunlight starting about 1030. I already have what I refer to as a double qu.... ( not sure on the spelling ) and this blooms quite a bit later and I love the amount of flowers. So, if anyone has any suggestions to help me narrow my search plum or cherry it would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you want something that blooms now, your choice is 'Whitcomb' cherry (see the link), and I don't know how well it would do in the shade. It's not the healthiest of trees, so I'm guessing that it would not do so well with so little sun.

Someone else will have to say if there's any point trying to grow the cherries or plums that will be blooming in the next few weeks, later than now, but before the 'Kanzan' (sometimes called Kwanzan) that you have. I know of a 'blireiana' plum that is doing well in what seems to be a fairly shady spot. It has double blossoms (smaller than your 'Kanzan' blossoms), is quite nice, and would bloom out your way in the next few weeks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  3. Fine ocean parker

Fine ocean parker Active Member

Thanks Wendy that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I didn't realize that cherrys/plums needed that much light ( perhaps should have ). I will take the time to look into the blirieana and you are right I do have a double kanzan which I love!
    Thanks again

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Today I passed a group of 'Shirotae' cherries I've seen for several years, growing in planters on a courtyard completely covered by a roof. They bloom earlier than any other 'Shirotae' in the city, though won't be in bloom for another week or two, and seem to be doing quite well, so maybe sun is not all that important for these, or maybe it's not important because they don't get rained on, so they don't need sunlight to dry them off. It would be a shame to plant one of these where there is not a lot of space though, as they're much less attractive once they're cut back.

I also corrected the spelling of blireiana, which I mention in case you were looking for it.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, deciduous Prunus generally aren't in the right environment if they are not getting full exposure.