help with compost, heating up fast!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by cagreene, Jun 5, 2013.

1. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

should i be worried about my compost catching fire? at what temp does fire become an issue? and at what temperature should i flip the compost? as i am using a temp gauge, the temp is about 140-170 degrees, i can see smoke rising from the pile as i turn it at 5 am this morning. i added some fruit and coffee grounds to slow it down a bit.
    i have been following the 10 day method, how to make usable compost in 10 days, gives a chart of nitrogen to carbohydrates, as well as what to mix with specific types of branches to get them to break down.
    if it dries out too much will it catch fire? should i be adding water to the mass? i have added a tarp to hold in the moisture and heat somewhat, should i remove it? i wish there was a compost for dummies book, as this is my first time doing my own compost, usually i hire someone to do it for me, but this year i have moved and am now in a smaller more manageable yard.( i am just piling it, not in one of those store bought containers)
    any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. ironmiss

ironmiss New Member

You can rest easy. The likelyhood that your compost will go ablaze is, well, unlikely! I have never, in all my years as a gardener, at home and work, working with various kinds of composts, seen that happen.
    Could it be steam coming from your pile? Yes, water is an aid to composting.
    Have you really made working compost in just ten days?! Thats incredible!

3. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

i am not sure if the 10 day method works or not, but to keep the microbes that are digesting the pile it must be turned every day, then have its clumps pulled apart or cut up with a machete and well mixed. i am on my third day. i will update if it works or not. the book is called 'fresh food dirt cheep all year long' and has a chapter devoted to compost, gives 3 methods. a 3 week turn over, and a 10 day turn over as well as an annual turn over for those with larger spaces.

4. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

already i can see clumps of dirt forming, its day 4 and the compost is 170 degrees! i have been breaking up the piles with a machete, hoe and various other tools.i will keep you updated in my attempt to see if this 10 day method works or not.
    showing my Brazilian machete to a friend yesterday...funny how times have changed, i brought this one back from Costa Rica, with my carry on luggage, just bungee corded to the knapsack! (1989)
    the compost is starting to smell like horse poo and hay, so thats a good sign, or so the book says. i covered it with 2 large plastic black garbage bags stapled together, and i put 2x2x2 pieces of wood into sleeves made along the bags edge to keep it in place, will take pic's later today. i really hope this works as i do not have tons of space to compost...

5. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

its been 9 days since i first started the new '10 day method' for usable compost. they neglected to mention in the article that it takes ten days from the time your compost reaches 140-160 degrees! so instead of being on my 9th day....i am actually on my 5th. some report at getting usable compost using this method after 14 days and 21 days.
    i am starting a second pile in 3 or four days when i have the right carbon to nitrogen mixture (30-1) to begin...i will take photo's and post the stages, (trying to learn to use a new camera, will try time lapsed photography of next compost.) peace!

6. cagreene

cagreene Active Member

here is a picture of the compost pile. it has been reduced in size 6 times. where once there was paper, kitchen scraps and about 6 entire watermelon skins, there is only what looks like horse poo and smells like mushrooms. i will be checking the ph tomorrow, this picture is at 8 days into method, as i was too sick to post picture yesterday when i actually took it! cheers!
    its getting much harder to reach the 140-160 degree temps, once the pile will no longer exceed 110 degrees no mater how much i turn and hack it apart, its ready to be bagged or put on the garden. if it is put on too soon, the microbes will deplete my soil of available nitrogen, which defeats the purpose...so before i put in on the beds i will turn at least twice more, and check the PH twice. i will keep you posted. peace.

Attached Files: