help with butia

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by honolua, Apr 21, 2008.

1. honolua

honolua Active Member

I planted this baby butia capitata in what should be a good spot (seen them in my area locally), on a day that was a lovely, sunny, 20 degrees C (68 F). It was looking great...good drainage, right amount of palm fertilizer spikes etc... Then, we had a record-breaking cold spell with our coldest days on record for this time of year! Snow, frost in April (2 degrees C)! We are all in shock. It is usually warm and sunny by now, with shorts and flip flops making it out! Now, the palm is brown, and sad looking. Is this just transplant shock or damage from just being planted in what turned out to be the worst weather for it before it had time to settle? Mineral deficiency (though hard to imaging....fertilizer and all??? Shall I wait it out?

Have a look at the pictures....help! I don't want to lose it!!!!
    thanks,

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Probably burned by the cold, looks like it was even growing new fronds. What time of year did you set it out? Marginal plants like this should go out in spring or early summer.

Sunset Western Garden Book says this one is hardy to 15F/-9C.

3. honolua

honolua Active Member

Hi!
    thanks for the info...yes, I did plant it when I thought it was the right time..spring, warm, sunny and promises of more on the way. It was no where near the -9 cold hardiness low end (in fact, it was 15-20 C ).

Then, we were hit with a very unusual, unexpected, record-breaking "wacky weather system" that threw everybody. So, I think by fluke, it got planted about 3 weeks prior to this awful time...not much time to "settle in". It has faced frost, hail, snow, rain, sun, wind.

Is there anything I can do, but wait? It was 14 degrees C today and sunny...
    I am hoping it will not completely die! Any further suggestions?

4. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

It's highly unlikely it will die. The discoloration is from frost as previously mentioned and will out grow this in time. These are probably California grown and have never experienced a frost. Your Butia will need a couple of seasons to adjust to it's new surroundings.

Cheers, LPN.

5. honolua

honolua Active Member

thanks! I shall nurse it and tend to it in hopes of it adjusting. thanks again!