Identification: help! What is this!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by todd, Jul 8, 2007.

1. todd

todd Member

I found this in my front yard! Can some one tell me what it could be? Is it dangerous for my kids? It seems like when I pull it the grass comes with it. Please help!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

A slime mould. Harmless, though I'd not recommend eating it! It is breaking down old dead plant material in the soil, so is beneficial for the grass, releasing nutrients for the grass to use.

3. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

I don't know specifically what it is, but it looks like a slime mold, some people refer to it as dog vomit fungi. It should go away in a few days. But it may reoccur during warm wet weather.It feeds on decayed wood buried underground.
    Gene

4. todd

todd Member

Thank you very much!!!!!!!! I am so glad that you guys were able to tell me what it is.

5. fungi99

fungi99 Active Member

awesome! slime molds are always fascinating...too bad here I don't have any at the moment

6. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

Nice fungus! Not toxic, not dangerous for soil. He's a friend for the land.

7. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

Have to say my first thoughts were of bracket fungi - is there any decaying wood underneath the grass? It may be a slime mould which I've not come across but it certainly doesn't look anything like Fuligo septica (dog vomit slime mould) from all the images & real life examples I've seen. It also looks too hard to be a slime mould? How soft/hard is it? Does it appear to 'move around' at all or stay exactly where it first appears? Ingrid

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

My first impression was a slime mold also, but I'm looking at it closer and it actually looks like a Hydnellum to me. I've seen many hydnellums with grass growing right through them like yours. Do you see spines on the underside. Is there any blue on the underside (H. caeruleum)?

9. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you pull it and the grass comes with it, it sounds like it is a hard substance, and thus not a slime mold. The close up photo is beautiful!
    I echo the question, does it have teeth on the underside? Very exciting! I look forward to the ID!

frog