Identification: Help - what is this? How do I look after it?!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by faithfultiger, Jun 15, 2005.

1. faithfultiger

faithfultiger Member

Hi guys, new here but often come across new plants that nobody can tell me what they are so thought I'd join.

Can you tell me what this one is?

I bought it from a rather small shop with not much in it except a few ferns and a couple of acers (I bought one of those too!) and lots of really nice pots.....

I saw it in the window, liked the look of it and asked what it was. The answer? "I used to know what it was but can't remember, sorry" and then sold it to me for just £3.50!

It 'looks' like it is growing from a rhizome, the stems seem to be very fleshy and are coming out of the pot at different places. The leaves are a brilliantly shiney dark green and look a bit like bay leaves although they are really thick and sturdy.

Any help would be much appreciated. I don't want to kill it through lack of knowledge of it's likes/dislikes.

Many thanks.
    Mandi

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Appears to be Zamioculcas zamiifolia, Aroid Palm.

3. faithfultiger

faithfultiger Member

Wow, thanks. After a quick search on Google it's come up with everything I could need to know about it.

Thanks again. So glad I joined the site now. :)

Mandi