Help, tomatoes are damping off!!!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by schraminvan, May 15, 2007.

1. schraminvan

schraminvan Member

I'mhaving problems. I grew some heirlooms from seed and they got damping off or what I believe to be Rhizoctonia solani fungus and were basically done for by the time I got it identified. Recently I bought two new heirloom tomatoes and had them inside on the windowsill until today. I just planted them outside and relized that one of the new plants was also showing early stages of what looks like the same thing!

Does anyone know if this is stoppable? Can this plant be saved with some home remedy or chemical? I don't want to throw out another plant and start over but I may have to. Are there any suggestions or shpould I start over.... again!

Thanks Steve S.

2. Anne58

Anne58 Active Member

You should be able to get a product from your garden shop that you can use to treat the soil to prevent damping off. I'm not sure it would be practical to use outside but certainly would help for the indoor potting of the plants.

3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Steve--I've killed lots of plants with crown rot, so don't feel alone or anything.

Still, I've never had a problem with young tomato plants, and wonder why your own plus bought in plants would both have problems. Do you think you might be overwatering, or do you fertilize or do anything else unusual? Are they in good light while indoors?

For this sort of thing I can often bring them back with a drench of hydrogen peroxide at about 6% or so, it's kind of a default treatment for anything that looks like it's a goner and has surprised me quite a few times with success.

Still wondering why rhizoctonia "likes" you so much, hmmm...should be something causing this since I haven't found it to be a normal affliction of baby tomatoes. Hellebores on the other hand, regularly lose some young'uns...