Help, they're everywhere! Brown moths on my Palm

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Arebe, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Arebe

Arebe Member

Hello. My first post here. I have a large indoor plam (I don't know what kind it is - but I've attached some pictures) that has sat in my office for over 4 years now and has been very healthy and happy! It's about 9-10ft tall with about the same diameter plam spread - at it's best. It's been very happy untill 6 months ago when it became infested with a small flying brown moth? The moth size is about 5-7mm I'm guessing.

I was told to let the soil dry well (I skipped two weekly waterings - which it didn't like one bit) to kill any larve found in the soil and to place sticky traps to catch the adults.

I placed sticky traps and caught many many of the pesky flying moths, but I just can't seem to eliminate them all. Recently, I've been spraying it with "Safer" insect killer, and it does kill what bugs it finds, but now a few weeks later, the moth population is stronger than ever.

I love this plam, but it seems stressed now and not happy any longer with these pests. Please, can someone help with a solution for the flying months and help get the plam back to health? Thank you very much!!

Attached Files:

2. Annageckos

Annageckos Active Member 10 Years

I don't think that moths are causing your problems. They sound like flour or grain moths. The larva eat any type of grain(bird seed, cerial, kibble, pasta....) but they won't harm your plant. I don't know what is wrong with your palm, but I would bet it is not the moths.