help! sick eves pin cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by mayflower17, Aug 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mayflower17

mayflower17 New Member

hiya, i’ve had this little eves pin cactus for some time now, recently i’ve noticed the centre turning brown, i thought i’d give it some time and extra water as google said it may be dehydrated, but and afternoon i came home after spending the morning outside to see it completely drooped over :( it gets indirect sunlight and is watered using a spray bottle whenever the soil feels dry. does anyone know what is causing this, how/ if it’s salvageable (i love this cactus) and how to prevent it in the future? any help is appreciated upload_2020-8-7_23-33-23.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-7_23-34-6.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-7_23-34-28.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2020
  2. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Bacterial rot.

No. The infection has already spread to the offsets, that is why they are turning yellow close to the central stem.

Oh, the usual cactus care. Good drainage, including pots with drainage holes and soil with lower water holding capacity than for "normal" houseplants. Peat (as in this case) is not the best growing medium for cacti, it holds too much water and depletes oxygen. The plant also shows clear signs of etioliation, i.e. it has been growing in too low light.