Identification: Help, please identify

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Just bought two plants from K-mart and don't know what they are or how to care for them. They look a lot like giant grass from a distance. They have about 4-6 inches of straight, thin "stalks" up from the soil, then they branch off into three or four sections each with long, thin (3/4 inch) leaves. Don't know what to say about them except they kinda look like long grass. They bend over gently in the middle, about where the leaves separate from the stems. Any ideas?

TIA

2. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Tia,

It is very difficult to id plants from a description (rather than a photo), but given the relatively limited variety of houseplants sold at major retail chains, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what your plant is through the process of elimination. My initial guess would be that it is a young palm of some sort, most likely Howea Fosteriana. I am attaching a photo of a mature potted specimen. Does it look anything like this? Bear in mind that very young plants are often sold as you described, with just a few individual stalks sticking up out of the potting medium. If this isn't it, then could you give us some more information about the color and texture of the leaves?

Attached Files:

3. Hey, I think you hit on something there....

It does look just like that, except where your pic (and others on the 'net) show several leaves coming off one stalk, mine has only 3 or 4. It does look just like your pic though! How does one care for one of these?

TIA

4. hungry hippo

hungry hippo Active Member 10 Years

Hi Tia,
    Well that would be typical for a young plant (the three to four leaves per stalk) as would the growth habit you described. They are a very popular house plant and one of the "staples" at the big retail chains. I don't know what part of the country you live in Tia, but palms are mostly native to the tropics or sub-tropics. There are some hardy palms, but typically not the ones sold as house plants. They should survive in a well lit, warm, draught-free environment out of direct sunlight. Don't overwater them and feed moderately. They should thrive in a 'conservatory' or partly shaded greenhouse in warmer climate zones. Keep the leaves clean and dust free, and watch closely for red spider mites. They are very prone to spider mite infestation, which is why I avoided using them when I had a plant rental business. Hope this was helpful. Good luck.